Weekly Recipe Wrap-Up

Here's the food I've managed to cook over the last week or so. I've had this random temp job where I work at the mall handing out giftcards for a promotion they're doing, and it goes from 4:45 - 9:15 every day, so I haven't exactly been keeping up with the cooking lately. But I'm really grateful God's provided the job for me, so if dinner is lacking, so be it.

Anyways... here's a few of the things that we've eaten recently.

A while back, I wanted something that was completely comfort food. Brad was waiting (as he is still) for a letter from grad school, and some other circumstances had just kinda gotten us down. And since there was nothing I could do other than pray, which I know is not nothing, but still... I made chicken pot pie.



I've never made one, but there was nothing else I could think of that said "comfort food" to me quite as much. I found the recipe here, and it was amazing. I added some corn instead of peas, and didn't have any celery seed, so I left it out. Listening to the comments on the page, I also added some poultry seasoning to the sauce and one-and-a-halved the sauce portion. It turned out great. Tons of yummy veggies, and lots of homestyle goodness.




Another night, I wanted something easy, but full of flavor. In our house, we usually need some protein in our dinners. And I find that sausages are always a really easy go-to meat, because they're so easy to cook. For this dinner, I had some roasted red pepper chicken sausages from Whole Foods that I needed to use, and I had some piquillo peppers waiting in the pantry. (Awesome sweet but a little spicy peppers, if you've never used them). I found this recipe on epicurious that involved both ingredients, and the end result was great. 

Check out those piquillos... mmmm....





On another night, I wanted to find something really healthy, but really good for us to eat. I liked the idea of a chicken soup, but that gets a little boring. This recipe I found from Emeril combines plain ol' chicken soup with a ton of veggies and goodness. 

Look at all that, garbanzo beans, spinach, red and green peppers, onion, celery, carrots eggplant, bay leaves, garlic... it's rather awesome. 


Then throw in some roasted chicken, some chicken stock, and some rice, and you have yourself some really yummy, and really nutritious, soup.


One more recipe of the week was something that has become a bit of a go-to for me. I know it well enough that I can shop for it at the grocery store without writing down the ingredients, so that's something. It's a shrimp scampi recipe I found a few years ago that I really like. Nowadays, I cut down on the butter and add more olive oil. And this particular night I had some leftover basil, so I chopped that up into it too. But it's a great, flavorful, simple dish. And it's one I'm quite fond of. Cook's note, we only eat about half of the recipe at a time, it makes a lot of pasta.



And that's it from the Carters for now! Next week, plans for another wine tasting night with friends. Should be a good time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment