Homemade Holiday

Hey friends. I thought I'd share this idea with you all. I'm sure Christmas is tight for everyone right now, but that doesn't mean that there are less people in our lives that we want to honor and thank and give something great to! I really wanted to give something to the other members of our small group at our new church, because they have been so welcoming and awesome by allowing us in their lives this semester. But with everyone in the group, giving a separate, store-bought gift to all of them wasn't probably feasible. So I decided to do something homemade. And these paint tins of brownies emerged.



I found this great Chocolate Chocolate Chip Brownie recipe on another blog (well, I'm assuming it's great, I've never actually tried it... if you're in my small group, let me know how they turned out). I just used the dry ingredients to make the layers (my friends will have to find their own butter and eggs). I found the paint tins at Michael's, and added some candy cane ornaments I had from an event I was part of at our old church a few years back.



The walnuts were an addition of mine into the recipe, but I left them in their own compartment so people didn't have to add them if they didn't want to. And I put a circle of wax paper in-between the layer of flour/cocoa powder and brown sugar so that it would help with the mixing process.



Lastly I tacked on the name tags with the recipe written on another card and voila! Homemade holiday goodness! I hope they all enjoy them, and I hope this may spark some creative juices in you for your friends too!

2 comments:

seth said...

great idea! i need to be more creative with Christmas gifts... not everyone likes artwork! i like reading your blog, it is fun to see what you come up with for it. i was watching some things on Youtube while waiting for a printer today and i saw an Anthony Bourdain thing in which he was in Portland and was meeting Chuck Palahnuik (the guy who wrote Fight Club) to see a different side of p-town... they went to voodoo doughnuts (a place that puts all kinds of things on doughnuts, like breakfast cereal, or bacon! it looks pretty tasty.) anyway, it made me think of you and your love of cooking.

courtney toney said...

I thought I recognized those ornaments :)

Post a Comment