Cheap Wine of the Week Wednesday

New tradition! I was talking to my mom and her IT guy last night because I'm going to help start her business' blog. One of the points he made was that in blogs, people like to expect some patterns or consistency. Good point Aaron. I'm going to use that for my own personal gain. So, from now on Wednesdays will be "Cheap Wine of the Week Wednesdays" and Sundays will be "Weekly Recipe Wrap-Up Sundays". Other random tidbits will be spread throughout the week.

So for this week, the cheap wine of the week isn't actually a wine at all. It's a beer. Yes, we have jaw-droppingly selected a beer as our delicious cheap thing to drink with a meal this week. And, actually, for a beer, it really isn't that cheap. At $7.99 for a four-pack, it's slightly gourmet. But if it were a bottle of wine, it'd be really cheap, so we're using it!

I was at Whole Foods trying to find a beer and needed help from the beer guy. I told him I know next to nothing about beer, but I like Hefeweizens. He looked at me crazily and said "well light wheat beers aren't in season right now." In season? C'mon Whole Foods, don't go all organically freaky on me. Beers have seasons? Add that to the things I didn't know. But as he explained it, it made sense. People don't want light, crisp beers right now as the weather gets colder. They want big robust beers they can curl up in front of the fire with. Well that's all very well and good for beer people. But for a beer wimp like me, I do, in fact, want a light crisp wheat beer to drink. So he grudgingly offered this as an option. Turns out, it was perfect. The beer is Ommegang Brewery's Witte Beer. It's got some good wheat to it, it's not too heavy, it's got a little bit of orange flavor and a little coriander (I kid you not, I picked up those notes without reading the label, where they were clearly spelled out). Very yummy. Great with the shrimp salad I made.

Ommegang_Witte.jpg

I didn't take this picture. As you've probably noticed, I am not this professional.


So if you're at Whole Foods sometime soon then pick this up. Or wait till next summer when it's "in season" and indulge then. Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment