In Honor of our Gas Being Turned on Tomorrow

We have a gas stove and a gas range in our new apartment. And I'm really excited about a gas range, I've never really cooked on one and everyone says they're so much better. But having such things makes no difference when the gas company takes three weeks to turn your gas on and so leaves you applianceless. (PS - having a gas company with a complete monopoly on a big city likes this makes for truly awful customer service and heinous wait times). Since I can do nothing about the situation but wait, I've been waiting. And not cooking much. And getting antsy.

But tomorrow the day is finally here, and I will have an oven and a range again, yay! So tonight, I "cooked" us something to prepare for the real cooking to come. It was a simple caprese salad, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil (picked off my brand new basil plant!), but the special touch was roasted garlic (in the toaster oven). This was my second attempt at roasting garlic, and the first time something went horribly wrong, but this time it was great. All in all, pretty yummy.



And at the church we visited on Sunday, (which we think may be our new church home... right down the street, great people, preaching Bible and Jesus... but that's another post) one of the couples found out I'd worked at a vineyard and immediately started asking if I knew of any good cheap wines out there. I gave a few suggestions, but I realized that there are so few options that you can trust as far as good wine. So if Brad and I ever run across one, I will post it on our blog and let you know about it. So, cheap wine of the week: Masciarelli Trebbiano d'Abruzzo. We found this at a local wine store when they were tasting it. I was intrigued by it because Orfila grew Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, and this grape is from the same region. But it's a crisp, dry, slightly acidic white that is really nice. And it was only $9.99!


Sorry for the long post, I will probably do more food/wine posts because I really enjoy it, but I'll keep them to picture and little explanations.

1 comments:

The Morales Family said...

Oh, no, keep with the comments - I do like the explanations a lot!! Love to have a lil' peek into your lives - we miss you!

Post a Comment