Weekly Recipe Wrap-Up

Hello all!

This is our start of 2010's recipe fun! This year I hope to keep being able to find great recipes, try and be healthy and spend less money. So, in that spirit, let's go on to the food of the last couple weeks.

Since Brad and I were sick at the same time, it called for a soup night. Over Christmas I found some footed soup bowls at Crate and Barrel for $3.95. Best bowls ever. So I had to retry French Onion Soup recipe, since I could broil it properly and have all that great melty cheese on top. I used a different recipe this time, and it turned out just as good. Possibly better.



Mmmmm... cheesy goodness...



The next night was a chicken salad, just another version of my favorite shredded chicken one. This involved adding fresh corn and grape tomatoes. And, as a new twist, I made up a tequila lime vinaigrette to use as a dressing. The little bit of tequila added some sweetness and the lime was a great tart counterpoint to that.





My favorite thing that I have made in a long, long time came by this week. I mean, really. It was that good. So we had seen Alton Brown making these Tuna Croquettes on Good Eats. And Brad thought they looked good, so I made them the first night.



I used this Tartar Sauce recipe as something to dip the croquettes in. And it was really good. A great meal. But the next night, at the risk of being redundant, I made both recipes again. As a sandwich. A tuna croquette tartar sandwich with arugula on a freshly toasted bun. Oh yum. This will make it into the repertoire.



The last recipe came from another community group get-together dinner. We potlucked with some great lasagna and cheesy garlic bread and snacks and drinks, and our contribution was a caesar salad. The special part was that I made my own caesar dressing. I've never tried a caesar before, and figured Ina Garten would know how to make a good one. And she did. But, cook's note, pay attention to her when she says to use a light olive oil. I used extra virgin, and it definitely tasted olive oil-y. Still good, but I'll know better for next time.





There we go. Weeks worth of food crammed into one post for you. I'm off onto more culinary adventures! Go Chargers!

3 comments:

seth said...

yum. keep cooking inspiring/inspired food!

Anonymous said...

Oh my!! the tuna croquetts were delish!!! I made them tonight for dinner and they recieved 10 tumbs up from my family!!! Even my finiky 5yr old liked it and Jean can't stop eating! Thanks for posting this it will be added to my dinner repertoire as well.

Mindy

Anonymous said...

i love your fun blog...you are so cute...
Seth's mom

Post a Comment